Sunday, September 10, 2017

Ramblings


Instead of visiting museums and castles, it would appear that the last few days were spent just rambling along, chatting with people.  How very interesting to hear their thoughts and get their perspective on life in general.


 
I got my hair cut by Alexandra this week, at the same Salon Eden that Karl went to.  When she found out I lived in Canada, she wanted to know how often I got together with my family.  When I said that my nearest brother or sister lived 13.5 hours away by car, she was so surprised that I didn't live closer to them.  She seemed to think that all families reserve week-ends to get together, and when it isn't just the parents and their children, then it includes grand-parents, aunts and uncles and cousins...  Most often, the family gatherings are on Sunday.  She seemed to find it a difficult concept to process that we should all live so far apart. 
 


 
She did cut off a LOT of hair!  When I saw my last photo in Nantes with my hair sticking out from under my hat like a clown at a circus, I thought it was time to get rid of some of that mane.


We were in Cholet and witnessed a wedding procession.  The cars were decorated, the horns were blaring, and the wedding party was waving from the open windows.  Everyone on the street came to a stop and waved back with big smiles.  A beautiful way to go from the church to the reception.  We do this in Canada too, but I don't think all the people on the street get so excited about waving back, as though the bride and groom are royalty.





















We did some shopping in that town, trying to find more of those table napkins that I bought early on in our trip.  We came across lots of fashion and shoe stores, but no kitchen linen stores.


Until I came across a woman with a big hat who was standing outside a store, watching all who went by.  I decided to approach her to see if she might know where I could find a kitchen store.  She did know where, but it took a while to get the name out.  She was having trouble remembering and then finally told me her woes.  Her house had burnt down with everything in it.  Then she had a massive heart attack and now has two stents.  She also had a stroke which affected her memory.  There was a Sephora store next to us, a store for make-up and perfume.  She wanted to tell me what perfume she wears but couldn't remember the name, so we went into the store but she couldn't find the pear-shaped bottle.  It was such a source of frustration for her.  But although she never did come up with the name of her perfume, she remembered where "Eurodif" was, a store specializing in linens, which turned out to be just what I was looking for!  Her instructions were to get to the Merry-Go-Round and it would be kitty-corner to it.


Say Merry-Go-Round and I'm in!  I just love the "Manège" and try to ride whenever I can, although Karl never wants to join in. 


The gentleman who sold me the ticket asked if it was for a boy or a girl.  When I said it was for me, he noticed the accent and asked if I was from Québec.  The conversation went from there to us being best friends in very quick order! 


He had visited Canada years ago and remembered how welcoming the people from Montréal and Québec City were.  He wanted to do something for me in appreciation for all that Canadians had once done for him.  So he settled me into my little "carriage" and said he had a surprise for me. 


When the music started, it was a song from Québec: "Gens du Pays", the unofficial anthem of Québec written by Gilles Vigneault.  When that song finished, he started another, and I continued going round and round, the only one on the carousel!

He talked about how France was changing, that people were not as friendly, sometimes downright rude, and he didn't like the general feel anymore.  I haven't noticed that, but then he meets a lot of people in a day, so he has a different perspective.

 
 
He noticed Karl taking photos, so he came to shake his hand and invited him to sit next to me for a free spin.  So off we went, to yet more music from Québec artists.  It seems the sun came out just for us!

 
 
He said he would just love to work in Canada, especially in Québec since his English is non-existent.  He asked if I could put in a good word with the mayor!  When we left, he shook our hands and told us to say hi to Robert and Claude, referring of course to Robert Charlebois and Claude Léveillée, which was the music he had played for us.  What a kind man!
 




Dinner at the Moulin de la Sorinière is always a treat.  We started off with a salad filled with small pieces of cucumber, red peppers, and cooked pork.  The vinaigrette was so good I had to ask for the recipe: tomato vinegar (never heard of this...), mustard and olive oil. 


I had the "lieu noir" (Pollock fish from Norway) in a beurre blanc sauce, with red cabbage, mushroom and carrot sides.






Karl had the steak in a pepper sauce and the same sides.


We both had the Trifle with red berries for dessert, with a sprinkling of ground up speculoos cookies (spiced shortcrust biscuit) and some grated chocolate.



We wanted to attend Mass today, but we hadn't read the schedule right.  There aren't enough priests to have services in every church on every Sunday, so they take turns, and today was not for St. Clémentin.  Still, we had the church all to ourselves to tour at our leisure and pray in a quiet atmosphere







The birds were circling the steeple; a greeting committee.











We've been invited for dinner at friends this evening and it was suggested that wine and chocolate would be appreciated.  Where can you find a Chocolatier opened on Sunday!  Off we went to Bressuire.  In fact, most stores were closed and the streets were barred so that a Sunday market could spread its wares in the middle of the street.


I am not familiar with Tourteaux. (Gâteau rond du Poitou constitué par une pâte brisée recouverte d'une préparation au fromage de chèvre et à l'œuf qui forme une calotte d'un brun presque noir .) They are goat cheese pies with an egg topping baked to a dark colour, and eaten as dessert.  Not what I had in mind for tonight...







Expensive little PJs, but cute with their fuzzy raccoons and bunnies.


On our way back to the car, I saw an elderly gentleman holding a pastry box.  I never hesitate to stop and talk with people, so I asked him where he had found some sweets on a Sunday.  He told me he had put in an order yesterday for a cake for his grand-daughter who was celebrating her 7th birthday today.  He assured me that "Aux délices du Palais" is a quality pastry shop, and he should know because he's been trying various pastry shops for 90 years!  He looked good for his age, walking slowly but without a cane, and looking alert and excited to be with his family this afternoon.  It was a 20 minute drive from Bressuire and I do believe he was going to be driving himself.




The gentleman was right - this pâtisserie was beautiful and smelled divine!  We bought a box (or two) of little cakes so we're all set for tonight.  The Vouvray pétillant is chilling.  After all, this is an evening when old friends get together again after years of absence, so it's celebratory!





***

"In the silence of listening, you can know yourself in everyone,
the unseen singing softly to itself and to you."
 
~  Rachel Naomi Remen


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful day, and you met some very interesting people. I wish we were more like the French, in waving and feeling joy when we see a wedding processions, and spending time with family on weekends. It's one of the drawbacks of living in such a large country I believe, as families are more spread out. Love the Merry Go Round, and how delightful to have it in the middle of the city like that! Love your hair cut, so adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that spending more time with family would be great. Now we rely so much on FB, email and Skype... There's nothing to replace the one-on-one. When are you coming to see us!! Do you remember the last merry-go-round I was on, you had said you'd love to join me for a spin. I thought of you as I was going round and round. Wish you had been there!

      Delete
  2. Nice haircut! Love the pastry shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patisserie was amazing, and the cakes we bought were a real hit at dinner!

      Delete